Kilis city is on the border with Syria and located in south-east of Turkey. All visitors to Turkey must obtain a Travel to Turkey visa prior to their arrival. Please visit our website to make an application for your for Turkey visa.
Kilis, a border town in the Southeastern Anatolia Region, is an area that should be seen with its historical mounds, monuments and kebabs. There are especially viniculture and olive farming in the southeastern southeast and border strips. People living in rural areas provide livelihood based on agriculture.
Kilis BC In the 1460s it was bound to the Aleppo kingdom. At the beginning of Hittite Empire period, Hittite effect. M. Alexander the Great, who departed from Macedonia in 356 BC, occupied all the Anatolian lands from the north west to the south east and set up Iskenderun on the bay of Iskenderun and continued on the way to Egypt through Kilis. B.C. When Alexander died in 323 and the empire was shared among the three generals, Kilis and its surroundings were under the sovereignty of Salafi, and remained under the sovereignty of the Salafi state for 227 years. The arrival of the Turks to the region begins in the 8th century. In the period of Harun Reşit al-Mahdi, the horasan oguz who accepted Islam from Central Asia started to enter the service of the Abbasids in groups. Where the city is today, its development in the name of Kilis began in the time of the Egyptian-Turkish monarchy, 1250 years. Kilis, which was built around the village of Mercidabık on August 23, 1516 by the late Sultana Selim on the Ottoman state lands and joined in the end of the war with the same name, was a banner attached to Aleppo Province in this period. By the time of the Armistice of Kilis Mondros in December 1918 the British were later occupied by the French. The Armenians in the region unite with the French and bring hard times to Kilis. Kilis Kuva-i Nation, established in Kilis with the beginning of mobilization all over the country, heroically collided with the enemies and won their own salvation in 6 December 1921 and helped Gaziantep. Kilis became a district of G. Antep in 1927 when G. Antep was the province and on June 6, 1995 it became a province.
What to eat?
It is very impressive with the taste and appearance of local dishes reflecting traditional culture. The varieties of kebabs made in Kilis are served with special spices flavored on the smoke.
It is not enough to enjoy the taste of the food and the taste of the pekmez in the restaurants located on the lake.
Places to see
Oylum Höyük, 7 km from the province of Kilis. It is a mound near the village of Oylum in eastern Southeastern Turkey. Oylum Höyük is located on the Euphrates Valley – Amik Plain in eastern – western approaches and on Anatolian Plateau and North Syria transport lines in north – south approaches.
On the other hand, in the Holocene period, the Kilis Plain was temperate and therefore rich in flora and fauna, and the region was favorable for human settlement.
The mound is 460 x 320 meters in size. The altitude is 22 meters in the north and 37 meters in the south. Between the two hills, it is tied with a neck.
The village houses were built on the western and eastern slopes of the mound and the earth was pulled and caused destruction. Professor who carried out the excavations carried out in the mound for many years. Dr. Engin Özgen is striving to take Oylum Höyük to the list of World Cultural Heritage.
Neşet Efendi Mansion
Neset Efendi (Topaloglu) was born on April 23, 1878 in Kilis. After the death of his father, Ahmet Efendi, he assumed the responsibilities of the whole family as a youngest child.
The master who made the building is Halepli Hacı Ahmet. This master also made the Kilis Government House. The building consists of a basement and 2 top kattan. The first floor has 6 rooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom and toilet. The 2nd floor consists of 7 rooms, kitchen, bathroom and toilet.
In the mansion built as a complete castle, the famous Kesmelik stones of Kilis were used. These stones were processed by the masters of Kilis. The building is reinforced immediately under the roof with flat iron all around. The building needed a large roof. The roof was made by Naccar (carpenter) Mehmet Usta, the interior interiors, the blinds and doors (gomalak) were made by Naccar Halit Usta. The inner wall plaster is plastered with lime and self-made material used in Kilis. The rooms on the first floor are furnished with tiles, large room with red and white Italian marbles provided from Gaziantep and kitchen and small living room with Gaziantep marble. The stairs are made of Gaziantep marble.
The building also has a water cistern to collect rain water. The mouth is the first one. On the 2nd floor, the rooms are again furnished with tile carpets and the big hall is completely covered with Italian marble. The kitchen, bathroom, small hall and stairs are just like the first floor. The water needs of the building were provided with 2 wells, one in the building. It was surrounded by iron bars in the north. In the north and south there were pools and flower gardens. The garden was decorated with flowers from Mersin and rare pine trees. On the southern side there was also a poultry house with peacocks. There is also a warehouse to the east, a barn for horses and two garages for cars.
Mansions have done, especially in the 1930s and ’40s, hosted the Turkey-Syria border governors meeting was hosted by the governor of Gaziantep and Aleppo. Until the death of Neşet Efendi, the mansion was together for all the family members in the summer months and became a place for holiday together.
Ravanda Castle, one of the most important historical ruins of Kilis, is located on the edge of Afrin Stream. Both the eastern and western sources refer to the presence of kalen for the first time during the Crusades and the oldest date about this castle belongs to the 11th century. The vaulted structure, the chapel in the south, the small round tower in the middle, the cisterns and the bastions that are visible in the castle today and seen to the west are like a bridge that reaches from the middle of the day.
It is located on the borders of the Belenözü Village. The castle, which is a very wide angle, is built on a high conical hill. Kaleye structures are flat at the top.
Some of the walls and bushes that are angular and half-rounded at different distances are still standing. There are two large water cisterns in Kalenin which are believed to belong to a large building. Since no archaeological work has been done in the area, the information about belonging is based on the first owners of tahmine and yorren. Since the settlement of Yesemek is close to the castle, the view that the Hittite structure (there are traces of Hittite architecture at the site according to the İ.Hakkı Konyalı) or Hittite is widely used.
The exact information on Kaley is based on XI.Yüzyla and the Expeditions of these years. The castle, which is referred to as “er-Ravendan” in Islamic sources, “Ravendel / Ravandal / Ravenel” in Crusader sources and “Aréventan” in Armenian sources, has been used in all the states dominating the region in the historical process. Ravanda Castle, located in the region called “Avasım, Sugur” in the Christian-Muslim conflict, especially in the middle of the VII. Century, became an important soldier during the wars against the Christian Byzantine in Islamic States. The castle, which was often mentioned in the name of itbaren from 1097, came forward with Baudouin who participated in the First Crusade and became famous. Ravanda Castle, which was used in various states and states (Seljuk, Artuklu, Eyyübi, Mamluk) from XII.th century to the beginning of XVI.th century, was passed to the Ottoman Empire after 1516.
Kilis is the biggest mosque. Very wide towel has two doors. When you enter from the door, there is a fountain with seven lilies. The water was taken from the water of the wolf which was accepted as the best water of Kilis. Immediately to the right of the glass is a submarine istellectual minaret with regularly cut stone. The central portion of the glass is covered with a deep and stable dome, and light flows from the twelve windows on its edge.
This ruin, located about 200 m west of Oylum Höyük, It is known that it is a basilica belonging to the Early Christian Period dated to the 20th century. It is understood that a long rectangular plan was used for this building. Local stone (black colored basalt stone and limestone) was used. The interiors of the basilica, which is an entrance from the west, are divided into two rows and three columns.
Akpınar is an active promenade of sparkling waters from the middle of a limestone soil piece. Four unique olive groves surrounded by vineyards and fruit gardens, covered in gnarled carpets, blessed the Kilis in spring and summer
Söğütlüdere, used as a place for entertainment and picnic in spring and summer, has a privileged place in Kilis life. Söğütlüdere, which flows from the northern slopes of Zoppun Stream and Akpınar sources, is an important place for an excellent feast of sorts with kebabs and meals specially for the kitchen cultures of Köliseliler, especially at weekends.
THE GOLDEN DEDE TURBES
There is a window on the left and a door on the right and left. There is an inscription showing the identity of the person lying here and the date of death, not only on the door of the door but also on the inside of the door. But among the people it is said that a person named Yusuf-i Hemedani is lying and Altın Dede .
. It’s easy.